Mr. Nolan is the founder and Managing Director of Beverly Capital. Prior to founding Beverly, Mr. Nolan enjoyed a 20-year career as a Senior Principal and Senior Advisor with GTCR, a Chicago-based private equity firm currently managing in excess of $7.3 billion. After joining GTCR in 1994, Mr. Nolan became a Senior Principal of the firm in 1996, a co-founder of GTCR Golder Rauner LLC in 1998, and led or co-led GTCR’s healthcare investing efforts for much of his career, before becoming a Senior Advisor to the firm in 2012 and then subsequently retiring from the firm in 2014.
Mr. Nolan has served as an investor and director of over 20 public and private companies including:
- HealthSpring (HS), a NYSE publicly traded company which provided Medicare Advantage services to over one million members. HS was sold to CIGNA in 2012 for a transaction value of approximately $3.8 billion.
- Province Healthcare, a NASDAQ publicly traded company which acquired 21 acute care hospitals over a nine-year period and was itself acquired by LifePoint Hospitals in 2005 for a transaction value of $1.7 billion.
- Managed Healthcare Associates, a provider of group purchasing (GPO) services to long-term care pharmacies.
- Alliant Insurance Services, a leading distributor of diversified insurance products and services which ranks among the top 15 insurance brokerage firms in the U.S.
- CompBenefits, a provider of dental insurance products for groups and individuals, sold to Humana Inc. in 2007 for $360 million.
- Capella Healthcare owned and operated 13 acute care hospital facilities in six states, primarily in rural markets. Capella was acquired by Medical Properties Trust, Inc. in September 2015.
- Devicor Medical Products, a medical device company specializing in products for use in breast biopsy procedures. Devicor was acquired by Danaher Corporation’s (NYSE: DHR) in December 2014.
Mr. Nolan holds an MBA from the University of Chicago and a BS in Accounting with High Honors from the University of Illinois.
Mr. Nolan is on the Board of Regents of Mercy Home for Boys & Girls where he served as Chairman for 7 years. Joe is also a Trustee of the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he is Chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee, and a member of the Chicago Children’s Choir Board of Directors.