Mr. Nolan is the founder and Managing Director of Beverly Capital. Prior to founding Beverly, Mr. Nolan enjoyed a 20-year career as a Senior Principal and Senior Advisor with GTCR, a Chicago-based private equity firm currently managing in excess of $7.3 billion. After joining GTCR in 1994, Mr. Nolan became a Senior Principal of the firm in 1996, a co-founder of GTCR Golder Rauner LLC in 1998, and led or co-led GTCR’s healthcare investing efforts for much of his career, before becoming a Senior Advisor to the firm in 2012 and then subsequently retiring from the firm in 2014.
Mr. Nolan has served as a director or significant investor in over 20 public and private companies through their acquisition or recapitalization including:
- HealthSpring (HS), a NYSE publicly traded company which provided Medicare Advantage services to over one million members. HS was sold to CIGNA in 2012 for a transaction value of approximately $3.8 billion.
- Province Healthcare, a NASDAQ publicly traded company which acquired 21 acute care hospitals over a nine-year period and was itself acquired by LifePoint Hospitals in 2005 for a transaction value of $1.7 billion.
- Managed Healthcare Associates, a provider of group purchasing (GPO) services to long-term care pharmacies, which was acquired by Diamond Castle in 2007.
- Alliant Insurance Services, a leading distributor of diversified insurance products and services which ranked among the top 15 insurance brokerage firms in the U.S.
- CompBenefits, a provider of dental insurance products for groups and individuals, sold to Humana Inc. in 2007 for $360 million.
- Capella Healthcare owned and operated 13 acute care hospital facilities in six states, primarily in rural markets. Capella was acquired by Medical Properties Trust, Inc. in September 2015.
- Devicor Medical Products, a medical device company specializing in products for use in breast biopsy procedures. Devicor was acquired by Danaher Corporation’s (NYSE: DHR) in December 2014.
- RJ Health Systems, a provider of pharmaceutical reimbursement and coding information services for the healthcare industry, acquired by MMIT, a provider of specialized market data and analytics to pharmaceutical managed care companies, in 2020.
- Energy Distribution Partners, a provider of propane and light fuels to residential, commercial, agricultural, and industrial users, which was recapitalized by Pritzker Private Capital and EDP’s management in September 2020.
- DecisionOne Dental, a premier dental service organization which operated 27 offices was acquired by Smile Brands Inc., a nationwide provider of dental services, in 2018.
Mr. Nolan holds an MBA from the University of Chicago and a BS in Accounting with High Honors from the University of Illinois.